Monday, December 17, 2007

Sweet Potato Pancakes

I add things to our pancakes all the time. It's quite easy- I just use my whole wheat pancake recipe and add what I want.
Last week Sweet Potatoes were on sale for $.20/lb-- I got 5 really large ones for $1. So I baked them all-- Naomi will eat them too, and I figured I could freeze them. They are very easy to bake-- just wash, dry and then oil them. I use olive oil, but any veggie oil will work. Put them in the oven and bake for about an hour at 350 degrees- it varies depending on the size of the potato, the skinny ones were done, but the fat ones I had to bake for another 15-20 minutes. Then you take them out and let them sit and cool for a little while, the skin peels right off. You might want to lay some foil on the bottom of the oven, because they do tend to ooze a little.
This morning I mixed up my pancakes, then mashed about 1 cup of sweet potato and added it to the pancake batter, along with about 1/2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice.
You can see in the pictures that full whole wheat pancakes (these are made with soft wheat) aren't as fluffy as the ones that have part white flour in them. I like them a little thin- you can cut back on the milk to make them thicker.
Variations of pancakes: Peanut butter, rhubarb, strawberry, apple & cinnamon, banana, blueberry and raisin & oat. Just add 1 cup of whatever you want, plus any spices. If it's more liquid like, then cut back on the milk a little. If it's thick, like peanut butter, use your mixer, so it blends it well.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails