Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Soaking Venison


We eat mostly venison for our red meat. It's really healthy, organic (wild) and free range. :-) Some people do not like the gamey taste of wild game. I rarely notice it, if you treat your meat properly it's not overwhelming and most of the time one doesn't notice.
We hang our deer before processing it. Which allows it to be more tender. When I take it out of the freezer, the day before I need to cook with it, I unwrap it, place it in a bowl of water (make sure the meat is covered with the water) and put in about 2 tablespoons of salt and stick it in the fridge. This helps remove some of the blood, which I believe adds to the gamey taste. Also, try to make sure as much of the fat is gone as you can get. Venison fat is not tasty and has alot of gameyness to it.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails