Friday, August 15, 2008

Fruit and Oatmeal Bars

I was trying to go for a Breakfast Cookie here- but this was so good, I think it qualifies more as "dessert". The one on the left is strawberry and the one on the right is cherry. I liked the cherry better- I think just the tartness of it.



Fruit and Oatmeal Bars
3/4 c. applesauce
3/4 c. sugar
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking powder
1 1/2 c. whole wheat flour
1 1/2 c. rolled oats
1 c. jam or preserves (tart works best, if using a sweeter fruit, like strawberries, I would reduce the sugar to 1/2 c.)

Mix everything except the jam. Press half of the mixture into a greased 9" x 13" baking dish. Spread the jam on, try to not to get it completely to the edge, or the jam part will burn slightly. Sprinkle on the remaining mixture. (I ended up doing 2/3 of the mixture on the bottom and 1/3 on top)
Bake for 16-18 minutes in 400 degree oven.
Wait about 15 minutes and then cut into squares.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails