Friday, March 11, 2011

Homemade Hashbrowns


This is comfort food for me. My mom would make these when I was young and I think it was my absolute favorite breakfast!

There isn't really a recipe, just a method. So here is what I do:

Homemade Hashbrowns
Scrub, wash, dry and grate several potatoes (approximately 1 per person).
Heat several tablespoons of coconut oil in a frying pan (cast iron is nice, but anything else will work).

Spread grated potatoes in hot oil/frying pan. Salt.
Potatoes do start to turn a pink color when they start cooking- this is normal and in the end they will be kind of gray and brown.

Cooking depends on the type of frying pan you use, I turn them several times before I consider them "done." If you have a larger pan, use your spatula and cut the potatoes into sections so it's easier to flip. I cut mine into quarters. Flip when the bottom is a nice golden to dark brown.

Salt this side as well.

I like crunchy hashbrowns, you can serve them as soon as both sides are brown, or I mix them and then fry on both sides again. Sometimes more oil is needed to keep them from sticking. That's why I like to use coconut oil, since I know it's a healthy option if you are going to be eating alot of it!

I typically serve these with eggs, fruit and a tall glass of milk.



No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails