Monday, January 26, 2009

Apple Pie


Mmmm Apple Pie! I like my apple pie without spices in it. It's how my mom always made it and I'm not really a fan of spiced desserts, plus, this way really brings out the good flavor of the apples. You could always add 1 tsp. of cinnamon or nutmeg, but I would encourage you to try it without if you never have.

Apple Pie

Pie Crust:
For 1 two-crusted pie (9") or 2 one-crust pie (9")

2 c. flour
1 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. salt
~
1/2 c. cold water
1/2 c. oil
Mix the water and oil with a fork until "creamy" looking, then pour it into the flour, sugar & salt mixture. Stir until moistened and the dough is in one ball. Separate into 2 equal portions. I roll it out in between 2 layers of wax paper or large plastic wrap, then peel off the top layer of wax paper, slip your hand under the bottom layer, under the rolled out dough, "flip" it onto the pie pan, press it into the corners of the pie pan and then peel that paper off.
Save the other portion of dough of the top of the pie.

Apple Pie Filling:
4 normal sized Golden Delicious apples, cored, peeled and sliced.*
1/2 c. sugar
1/2 c. flour
Mix the sugar and flour into the apples. Spread the apple mixture into the unbaked pie shell.
Roll out the top pie crust, cut some slits in it for steam to escape, lay onto the top of the apples, remove wax paper and press the edges of the top and bottom crusts together. Here are some good directions to make a decorative edge or you can just press them with your fingers or a fork.
Bake at 425˚ for 50-60 minutes. The pie will be a golden brown on top.
I place some tin foil on the bottom of the oven when I make pies- sometimes they bubble over, some times they don't. To avoid bubbling over you can put some small pats of butter on the pie just before putting on the top crust. Though, for me, I haven't noticed any difference. I used to put the butter on all the time, until I was pregnant and kept forgetting that step- but then found that it didn't matter, so I have since quit.


*A food processor is great for slicing, just quarter the apple after it's peeled, drop them in and let it slice them up. There are also Apple Peeler/Corer/Slicer tools, like the one Pampered Chef sells.

2 comments:

Antonia - Beauty Health Finance and Green Issues Editor said...

Ok, I am going to try this out, but I will use Bramley apples instead. My neighbour has an apple tree which spills into our garden.

Rachel said...

Let me know how it turns out!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails